The Iowa SWCS hosts the following ACTIVITIES and PROGRAMS to further their mission of conservation land, water and related natural resources:
EVENTS IN 2018
- This year the Iowa SWCS is supporting the Iowa Envirothon, an environmental education competition for high school students. The Iowa SWCS provides a sponsorship and has members volunteering at the event.
- With our conservation partners, the Iowa SWCS hand out bananas and educates riders on conservation in Iowa during RAGBRAI. RAGBRAI is an annual seven-day bicycle ride across Iowa. RAGBRAI is the oldest, largest and longest bicycle touring even in the world and draws over 8500 people from around the world. Volunteers allow Iowa SWCS to take advantage of this opportunity to reach so many people with information about conservation in Iowa.
- With partners we are hosting an Imagine a Day Without Water Trivia Night. Imagine a Day Without Water is a national day of action to raise awareness about the value of water. We invite you to join us for appetizers, networking, prizes, and the opportunity to learn fun facts about our water resources, Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at Fox Brewing, 103 S 11th Street, West Des Moines, IA 50265. Social and appetizers will begin at 4:30 PM and trivia will be held from 5:00 – 6:30 PM. The $10 fee can be paid at the door. Come with a team of up to 5 or join one when you arrive! RSVP to email@example.com or 515-289-2331 ext. 112.
- Iowa SWCS holds Summer and Fall Annual Meetings to bring members the most current and up to date conservation information. Meetings include speakers, tours and social activities. The Summer Annual Meeting rotates through the regions and is held in June/July. The Fall Annual Meeting is held in Central Iowa in September/October.
- The Chapter offers opportunities for members to receive financial support to attend the SWCS International Annual Conference each year. Iowa SWCS also offers members an opportunity to apply for up to $500 to attend an activity that strengthens their abilities as a soil and water conservation professional on an ongoing basis. Visit the For Members page to find out more about the Career Development Grant opportunity.
- Iowa SWCS offers the opportunity for Area Chairpersons on the Board to apply for and receive a Challenge Grant to conduct a membership or educational activity in their area. Visit the Board page to find out more about the Challenge Grant opportunity.
THE NEXT GENERATION
- Iowa SWCS supports students pursing educations and careers in soil and water conservation through their Scholarship program. Visit the Student Scholarships page to find out more about the Scholarship program.